To make a gate fold book you will need a large clean working area so that the book does not get damaged or spoilt.
• For the inside pages take a 12 x 12 inch sheet of white cardstock and cut it into six pieces. Each piece should be 4 x 6 inches.
• Starting one inch from the top and 3/8 from the edge you can now punch holes down the side of the paper leaving a one inch gap from the bottom. It is best to punch all the pages at the same time to ensure that they all match up. The easiest way to do this is by using a crop-a-dial.
• The book will be ring bound on both sides and will have alternating pages so the covers need to be quite a bit bigger than the pages inside. This will allow the covers to close with out hitting the opposite book rings.
• From a piece of chipboard cut two rectangles measuring 7 x 4 ¼ inches. If the edges are looking a little untidy you can tidy them up by giving them a quick sand down to leave a smooth finish.
• Using one of the inner pages as a guide you can now mark and punch the holes for the covers. By the end you should now have two pieces of chip board with four holes in them.
• Cut one piece of chipboard down the middle so that the front cover becomes two smaller pieced measuring 3.5 x 4 ¼ inches. Again you can smooth any rough edges down by sanding.
• You can now cover the front of the book as you wish, adding as many or as few embellishments as you desire. More often than not you can use left over bits and pieces from your craft supplies.
These little books are great because you can have as many or as little pages as you like. They make a lovely gift or keepsake for your family and friends or even just for you. The front of the gate fold book can be decorated to fit the overall theme of the scrapbook pages inside or you could decorate it as a gift saying ‘happy birthday’ or ‘to mum’.
The scrapbook ideas for a gate fold book are endless.