The backing of a custom rubber stamp can be made from wood, plastic, brick or acrylic. The custom rubber stamp is pressed into ink then applied to paper or other materials.
Rubber stamping is widely used in card making and is often the foundation or focal point of most card making ideas. With specialist inks now readily including baby safe ink pads available you can now stamp onto materials such as wood, glass, plastic and metal making embellishments far more easy to make at home.
Using a custom rubber stamp to create a background is a really cost effective way to design a handmade card. However there are a few things to consider and have in place before you begin
Tips When Using Custom Rubber Stamps:
- Always make sure the paper or card you are using is acid and lignin free.
- Make sure the surface of the paper is clean and free from dust particles.
- Use an anti static bag, or wipe the surface before using your custom rubber stamp. An anti-static bag eliminates static that causes smudges and fingerprints on your work. It also helps to prevent embossing powder sticking to unwanted areas.
- Always clean your custom rubber stamp after each use.
- Tap the ink pad lightly all over the custom rubber stamp. By applying the ink to the stamp rather than the stamp to the ink you are guaranteed an even coverage of ink.
- When you press your custom rubber stamp onto the material you have chosen to use, always press down firmly using the palm of your hand.
- If you are going to emboss the wording or image created by the custom rubber stamp always take care when using a heat gun. Once you have sprinkled your embossing powder onto the image hold the heat gun four or five inches away and try not to wave it around too much as this can cause the embossing powder to blow everywhere.
- When cutting out an embossed image, do not cut into the embossed lines. This will cause the embossing powder to flake off.
- Keep a small paintbrush or Q-Tip handy when embossing to clear off any unwanted pieces of embossing powder that have ended up where they should not have.
- Use a soft bristled tooth brush to clean the small detailed parts of your custom rubber stamp.
A custom rubber stamp is a great investment for any keen card maker. You can create stunning backgrounds, and you can also use the same stamp to decorate the envelope the card will be placed in, making it totally unique and harmonized.