It is understandable that many people express reluctance when trying to think of messages to write in a sympathy card, especially if the card itself is for someone close to them.
Knowing exactly what to say in a sympathy or bereavement message can be hard-hitting and many people worry and stress about using correct sympathy card wording and etiquette. It can quite simply become an impossible task.
One of the most important things I would suggest is not to be too long winded.
Here are some examples of messages to write in a sympathy card.
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. We are so sorry for your loss.
- Please accept my condolences on the loss of your partner. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
- With deepest sympathy for your loss.
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- Please know our loving thoughts embrace you
- Thinking of you in these difficult times
- With heartfelt condolences
- Those we love don’t go away, They walk beside us every day, Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear.
- Wishing you comfort at this sorrowful time
- With heartfelt sympathy
- Sharing in your sorrow, thinking of you and wishing I could be there to hold your hand.
- May the love of those around you, help you through the days ahead.
Once you have found the best message to write in a sympathy card you may want to add a few words of your own to make it more personal. Try not to tell the person who has lost someone things will be ok in time, or that you know how they feel.
I know after losing my dad I found this very upsetting. Bitterness, anger and a feeling that know one else knows or understands your loss are with you constantly. It takes great restraint not to snap and take your frustration out on someone you know is only trying to offer their support even if they are clumsy with their words.
Messages in a sympathy card should be short but heartfelt. It is important not to write lengthy verses as the reader will probably not take all of this in.
Making a suitable handmade card with the right sympathy message will be appreciated and above all shows that you are there to offer your support and sympathies.